LANCASTER SCHOOL BOARD PROCEEDINGS
The Lancaster School Board met in regular session on Tuesday, February 12, 2013, at 7:00 p.m. in the school district office. The following members were present: Diamond, Hanson, Jerome, Nelson, Nordin, and Weleski. Also present were Supt. Homstad, Activities Director Evan Hanson, Teacher Rep. Linda Laager, Visitor Riley Davis and Mendy Coffield.
Chairperson Hanson called the meeting to order. The agenda was approved with one addition on a motion by Weleski, second by Nordin. UC.
On a motion by Nordin, second by Weleski, the minutes of the regular January 9, 2013, school board meeting and the special meeting minutes from January 22, February 5, and February 8, 2013, were approved as presented. UC.
On a motion by Hanson, second by Nordin, Electronic Funds Transfers (EFTs) were approved in the amount of $45,393.57, and the bills were approved for payment as presented in the amount of $99,849.98. Check numbers 36129-36182. UC.
The Budget and Treasurer’s reports were reviewed.
Supt. Homstad presented the Administrative Report:
1. Welcome guest: Riley Davis. Riley is fulfilling a college course requirement by sitting in on this meeting. Welcome!
2. School Board Appreciation Week: Next week is school board appreciation week. Supt. Homstad thanked the board for their commitment to education. Elementary students had prepared cards and pictures and the high school FACS class treated the board to some delicious goodies.
3. March Board Meeting Date: March 12th conflicts with Boys’ Basketball Tournament and Town Board meetings. The March meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 6th at 7:00 p.m. The Certified Negotiation Staff has requested a 6:30 p.m. meeting that night as well.
4. Funding update: Kindergarten is currently funded at .62. The proposed funding of 1.15 for the 2015 school year would assist us in all day every day Kindergarten.
5. Boiler: The 1987 electric boiler is in need of repairs. Johnson Controls and Labine Electric are gathering estimates to see if it would be beneficial to repair or replace. We are currently running on our back-up fuel oil boiler.
On a motion by Weleski, second by Jerome, and carried: Be It Resolved, that the Board of Education of Independent School District 356, approves the transfer of 53 additional sick leave days to Nicole Thompson as per the Master Contract agreement.
On a motion by Diamond, second by Weleski, and carried: Be It Resolved, that the Board of Education of Independent School District 356, accepts the resignation of Jesse Strege, KCC Junior High Baseball Coach, effective immediately.
On a motion by Nordin, second by Diamond, and carried: Be It Resolved, that the Board of Education of Independent School District 356, accepts the resignation of Bradley. K. Homstad, Superintendent, effective June 30, 2013.
On a motion by Weleski, second by Nelson, and carried: Be It Resolved, that the Board of Education of Independent School District 356, adopts the proposed 2013/14 school year calendar with 174 student contact days and 6 teacher workshop/parent teacher conference days, totaling 180 days for the school year.
On a motion by Jerome, second by Diamond, and carried: Be It Resolved, that the Board of Education of Independent School District 356, accepts the Wikstrom Telephone donation of $6,091.
Chairperson Hanson updated the entire Board on the visit to Devils Lake, North Dakota last week. The on-site visit in regards to Candidate #2 was a favorable report and coincided with the candidate’s packet and interview.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:26 p.m. on a motion by Weleski, second by Nordin. UC.
The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 6, 2013, at 7:00 p.m..
George Hanson, Chairperson
Chris Jerome, Clerk
(Feb. 27, 2013)