LANCASTER SCHOOL BOARD PROCEEDINGS
The Lancaster School Board met in regular session on Tuesday, March 18, 2014, at 8:10 p.m. in the district office. The following members were present: Diamond, Hanson, Jerome, Nelson, Nordin, and Weleski. Also present were Supt. Swiontek and Mendy Coffield.
Chairperson Hanson called the meeting to order and took roll call. The agenda was approved as presented on a motion by Weleski, second by Diamond. UC.
On a motion by Diamond, second by Nordin, the minutes of the special and regular February 19, 2014 school board meetings were approved as presented. UC.
On a motion by Weleski, second by Jerome, Electronic Funds Transfers (EFTs) were approved in the amount of $52,458.77, February Payroll EFTS $82,663.36, and the bills were approved for payment as presented in the amount of $50,978.94. Check numbers 36870-36913. UC.
Discussion was held on the heating system. A parts estimate to replace the steam traps and valves has been received for just under $5,000. Johnson Controls will be submitting a labor estimate as well.
The Budget and Treasurer’s reports were reviewed.
Supt. Swiontek presented the Administrative Report:
1. Professional Development Committee – four teachers and Supt. Swiontek have met and will determine a professional development schedule as well as develop a comprehensive plan for teachers and administrators for next year.
2. Principal Evaluation Program – this is now required by law and must be in place during this school year.
3. Teacher Evaluation Committee – this evaluation is also now required by law as well. A committee has been established and will build a Teacher Excellence and Learning Evaluation Plan.
4. Football field press box – estimates have been received. Supt. Swiontek will begin working on donations to attempt to fund this project.
5. Social Services and Sheriff’s Department routine visits – Lindsey Lindgren, Kittson County Social Worker, made this request. The Faculty and student body both are in favor of it.
6. Pipeline safety – Supt. Swiontek attended a workshop in Hallock on Monday. Lancaster is a few miles from the nearest pipeline.
On a motion by Weleski, second by Nelson, and carried: Be It Resolved, that the Board of Education of Independent School District 356, approves the Principal Evaluation Model as presented by Supt. Swiontek.
On a motion by Weleski, second by Diamond, and carried: Be it Resolved, that the Board of Education of Independent School District 356, accepts the resignation of Jimmie Larson, Teacher, effective May 23, 2014.
On a motion by Weleski, second by Nordin, and carried: Be it Resolved, that the Board of Education of Independent School District 356, accepts the resignation of Linda Laager, Teacher, effective June 30, 2014.
On a motion by Diamond, second by Jerome, and carried: Be it Resolved, that the Board of Education of Independent School District 356, accepts the resignation of Gerald Peterson, Custodian, effective April 15, 2014.
Information was distributed to board members from Macy Westerberg. Macy will be traveling to Australia in July to play volleyball.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m. on a motion by Weleski, second by Diamond. UC.
The next board meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 15th at 8:00 p.m. in the district office.
George Hanson, Chairperson
Chris Jerome, Clerk
(April 16, 2014)