Certify your emergency haying/grazing CRP acres

With drought conditions in Montana, South Dakota, and North Dakota, the USDA has allowed for emergency haying and grazing of certain Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) practices. Any county within 150 miles of a Montana, South Dakota, or North Dakota county, approved for emergency haying and grazing of CRP acreage, is eligible to participate. Signup activity by CRP participants and livestock producers has been brisk at the Kittson Farm Service Agency (FSA) Service Center.
Emergency haying and grazing is authorized to begin once the FSA has given approval of an emergency haying or grazing application. Livestock producers along with CRP contract holders are required to initiate an application with FSA and work with the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to develop a modified conservation plan. The grazing plan includes a specific stocking rate of livestock in order to avoid adverse impact on established CRP cover. The emergency hay option of eligible CRP practices allows 50 percent of the contract acres to be cut and baled.
The last day for haying of an approved CRP practice is Thursday, Aug. 31. After haying is completed, the CRP contract holder and livestock producer are required to certify harvested acres. This must be completed by Sunday, Sept. 10. All bales are to be removed from CRP ground by Friday, Sept. 15. If grazing CRP you have until Saturday, Sept. 30 to remove your animals. You will need to report the number of acres grazed by Tuesday, Oct. 10. Pay close attention to these deadlines as an infraction could result in penalties to the CRP contract holder.
CRP is a voluntary program administered by USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA) available to agricultural producers to help them safeguard environmentally sensitive land and, when needed, provide emergency relief to livestock producers suffering the impacts of certain natural disasters.
For more information regarding emergency haying and grazing provisions or other FSA programs, contact the Kittson County FSA office at 218-843-2692 or visit the USDA website at http://www.usda.gov.

Leave a Comment