Minnesota State Parks and Trails remain open to the public. We are closely monitoring the situation related to COVID-19 and adjusting our operations as conditions change. We recognize the importance of nature in helping to relieve stress during this time and are committed to providing a safe environment for our visitors to enjoy, while ensuring we protect the health of our staff and Minnesota’s communities.
Beginning March 16, 2020, we will implement the following changes to operation of all 75 state parks and recreation areas across the state consistent with guidance provided by the Minnesota Department of Health:
Move to a 100% self-pay system.
- All Minnesota state parks and recreation areas have the ability to collect permit fees and provide visitor information (e.g., maps, park rules, brochures) through our Self-Pay and Information Kiosks located near state park entrances.
- Visitors can purchase a day or annual permit beforehand through the reservation website (visit mndnr.gov/reservations). Camping and lodging reservations should be made online through the reservation website or through the reservation call center (866-857-2757).
Close all state park offices, visitor centers, and non-essential buildings until further notice; bathrooms and group centers remain open.
- All state park offices will be closed to the public, including information desks and nature stores. The public will be able to get park information and purchase park permits through the Self-Pay and Information Kiosks. Camping reservations should be made and paid for online or over the phone using the reservations system.
- All bathrooms, shower buildings, and vault toilets that are currently open will remain open to the public, and we will reopen currently closed vault toilets where feasible. We will ensure our cleaning protocols meet best practices established to address COVID-19 concerns. Bathrooms and shower buildings that are currently closed will remain closed to the public until further notice.
- Group centers that are currently open to the public will remain open, with social distancing measures implemented. Currently closed group centers will remain closed until further notice.
Suspend all naturalist programming and events.
All naturalist programs and public events will be cancelled until further notice (including visitor center programs, outdoor events, and school group activities). We will consider if there are some programs/events that can be re-started or changed to accommodate social distancing. Over time, we are hopeful that we can find ways to restart programming.